The Glenaladale MacDonaldsRead Now
Captain John MacDonald (Iain MacDhomhnaill in Gaelic) through the support of the Scottish Catholic Church acquired lot 36 from Chief Justice Montgomery as a sanctuary for highland Catholics facing religious persecution under the British in Scotland. In 1772, a couple of hundred Catholic settlers lead by Captain John’s brother Donald and other their family members including Helen (Nellie) arrived on St John’s Island. Captain John arrived in 1773, one of the few landlords to move to the Island, Captain John established Glenaladale on the shores of Tracadie Bay. He remained on the estate for three years before being enticed to join the British army and was stationed in the American colonies to help secure the allegiance of Scottish settlers there. After being discharged in 1783 and spending time in Britain, MacDonald returned to the Island in 1792. In this absence, Nellie managed much of the estate business while dividing her time between Glenaladale and Charlottetown.
Leave a Reply.